My Favourite Mac & Cheese Recipe!
I love macaroni and cheese, especially the mass produced version that you often find in buffets. So I’m always on the lookout for a good mac and cheese recipe. A little while ago, I forget where, the idea of Bacon Mac & Cheese started bouncing around in the house and I knew I had to make it.
As usually when it comes to cheese, I didn’t really follow the directions but used them more like guidelines. I like cheese and I like it a little thicker than the blue box variety. So I ended up using more cheese that I should have (about 6 cups worth). Since I’ve adjusted the recipe below from what we had for dinner, I’m going to assume that the cheese won’t be as thick in the picture, but it should still be a pretty good consistency. Also, for the bacon, it needs to be crispy. When I made it earlier, it baked right in the grease so it came out chewy and soft. While this worked for the recipe, it didn’t dice up well. I ended up with bigger chunks and bites without bacon. So Jesse and I are thinking that by making it crispier (and maybe baking it on racks so the grease drips off), we’ll be able to dice it into smaller pieces and it’ll spread out more among the pasta.
There is one more thing I would recommend when making this. If you have bacon lovers in the house, make sure you hire an armed guard. I made the bacon an hour before I did the rest and they kept coming into the kitchen, wanting to eat the bacon. I had to turn them away a couple of times, so while I say use a whole package of bacon, I did keep out four slices so they would stop asking for some. *grin*
Delicious Bacon Mac & Cheese
Entree / Pasta
This is my absolute favourite mac and cheese recipe. Even though I'm slightly allergic to cheese.
This was adapted from an old cook-book I found in the basement; give it a try and let me know your thoughts on it!
I usually add a little bit more breadcrumbs on than the recipe calls for, but I'm slightly obsessed with Panko I think!!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Grease a baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Strain in cold water then set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Add 1 tablespoons butter to the pan and then add in milk. Whisk together and slowly add in flour.
- Add the cornstarch to the half and half and whisk until smooth. Slowly add it to skillet followed by mustard and garlic powder.
- Cook sauce for a few more minutes, until it begins to slightly thicken. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Crumble bacon and add on top of pasta in the pan. Toss evenly to combine.
- Pour the mixture into your greased baking dish.
- Add panko and butter mixture on top of the pasta.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Add some chopped green onions on top right before serving to put this dish over the top!
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.